Free current account tailored to your needs
Open an account and get started right away
It couldn’t be easier! Activate online banking within 6 minutes. You’ll be able to use the full range of online banking services within 1-2 business days.
Complete the online application
All it takes is 6 minutes to complete and send the online application. You can also apply online on your phone.
Confirm your information
Verify your identity with our fully digital IDENT app.
Start using your account
Gain direct access to your online and mobile banking in a matter of minutes.
Switch now to the safest and leading brick-and-mortar bank in Germany.
Only the best for our customers. We are shaping the future of banking by giving you the ability to decide what you want and when you want it. Benefit from having a strong and safe partner at your side.
- Test winner of the economic and financial title as the best branch bank
- Test winner in the highest security category awarded by
Frequently asked questions
The “Basic” current account is free of charge if you meet the following criteria:
- You use the current account on a private basis.
- You have minimum incoming payments of €700/per month.
If your incoming payments fall below €700 one month, we will charge an account management fee of €9.90 for that month. This amount will be deducted from your current account the next month. But there’s no need to worry. You have plenty of time to set up and move your account. We only start to take your minimum incoming payments into account in the second full month after you’ve opened your account. Until then, your account is exempt from the minimum incoming payment requirement.
If you opt for “KlassikAccount” or “PremiumAccount”, there are no minimum monthly incoming payment requirements.
- You manage the current account digitally (paperless) and use Commerzbank or Cash Group cash machines. Additional fees: There is a €2.50 charge per transaction/cheque for paper-based domestic/SEPA transfers, processing domestic cheques issued in euros, as well as cash withdrawals and cash deposits at Commerzbank counters.
- If no custody fee is charged: a custody fee of 0.5% p.a. applies for total credit balances of 50,000 euros or more. The calculation is based on the monthly average amount exceeding 50,000 euros of the euro-denominated deposits booked on all deposit and current accounts held at Commerzbank, excluding negative balances.
The minimum monthly incoming payment amount is calculated on the basis of the total incoming payments per calendar month, not including securities transactions, transfers to other accounts held in your name, credit notes from returned direct debits/cheques or refunds. This calculation is made on the basis of the value date for each transaction.
- You have not held a current account with Commerzbank in the last 24 months.
- You open the current account online.
- You actively use the account for three months. This means at least five monthly transactions of at least 25 euros (e.g. from or to employers, pension funds, property management companies, energy providers, phone providers, but no transfers to other bank accounts held in your name or balances brought forward). If the above conditions are abused, we reserve the right to not pay the starting balance.
- You consent to advertising emails and calls. Consent may be given during the account opening process or thereafter within 3 months at a Commerzbank branch or online at www.commerzbank.de/einwilligungen and may not be revoked for at least 3 months.
Once you've successfully opened your account, you can recommend the free current account online to your family and friends with the Customer Referral scheme.
You can open a free Commerzbank current account if you are at least 18 years old, a German resident and tax liable in Germany (tax resident). Accounts can only be opened if they are intended for your own personal use. The account may only be used for private purposes. It may not be used as a business account by freelancers or business owners. If you need an account for commercial purposes, check out the business accounts we offer here.
Opening a free current account online couldn’t be simpler and only requires a few steps. Find everything you need to know.
- You can generally use online banking 1-2 business days after verifying your ID if you have activated photoTAN.
- You can usually withdraw cash and pay in shops using your new Girocard after one week.
Girocard: The Girocard is a contactless debit card. You can use it to make contactless payments with compatible card readers. The amount is then charged to your account immediately.
Virtual debit card: The virtual debit card is completely digital, meaning you no longer receive a physical plastic card. You can use the virtual debit card with Apple Pay and Google Pay without needing a traditional credit card. All you need to do is activate the virtual debit card in the banking app to start paying contactless in shops and use it at cash machines around the globe. Transactions are authorised by and charged directly to your current account.
Using your Girocard:
You can withdraw cash free of charge from all Commerzbank and Cash Group cash machines in Germany. Along with Commerzbank, the Cash Group includes Deutsche Bank, UniCredit Bank, Postbank and their subsidiaries. In total, there are over 7,000 nationwide. Other banks charge fees when you withdraw cash from them.
You can also withdraw cash free of charge at around 1,300 Shell petrol stations and in participating Rewe, Penny, Toom, Aldi Süd, Lidl, Edeka, DM, Netto, Norma, Famila and Galeria Kaufhof branches. The minimum purchase value varies between €5 and €20 depending on the shop.
Check out ourto see where you can withdraw cash for free in your local area.
It does! If you have a good credit score and request an overdraft, we can set up one up for you. The overdraft interest rate depends on the account model you have arranged. For example, the overdraft interest rate for the free “Basic” current account is currently 12.20% p.a.
The Commerzbank security promise helps make sure you can use your online banking safe and sound. Benefit from optimal protection for online banking on our website and in our banking app with our photoTAN and mobileTAN authentication process. We’ll refund any money lost due to phishing scams or malware in full if the necessary conditions are met.
Want to open a free current account but not sure how to switch your existing account? We've got you covered! Use our bank account switching service to conveniently switch your account online in just 10 minutes. Your payment partners will be automatically informed of your new bank information. This includes your employer, mobile phone provider and insurance providers.
Free of charge only for private use, minimum incoming payments of €700/per month required (otherwise €9.90/per month), for paperless account management and use of Commerzbank or Cash Group cash machines, provided no custody fee applies.
€50 starting credit will be issued after three months of active account use (at least five monthly transactions of €25 each or more, e.g. from or to employers, pension funds, property management companies, energy providers, phone providers; transfers to other accounts held in your name are not included), if no account has been held with Commerzbank within the last 24 months If the above conditions are abused, we reserve the right to not pay the starting balance. and you consent to advertising emails and calls. Consent may be given during the account opening process or thereafter within 3 months at a Commerzbank branch or online at www.commerzbank.de/einwilligungen and may not be revoked for at least 3 months.